Here are ten suggestions.
1. Rather than making resolutions that will be soon be broken, find a commitment partner and exchange a list of five commitments you will each make and hold each other accountable for throughout the year.
2. If you wish to be in better physical shape this year and lose weight, take the total amount you wish to lose and divide it by twelve and only concentrate on that month’s average, give or take five percent. One twelfth will be more manageable as a goal each month than the total for the year.
3. Want more money in 2017? Then give more away. Find a non-profit organization in your area that you can pour yourself into with your time, gifts and and resources. I can’t explain why this works, just that it does. Give more to get more.
4. Read! The information age is all about…you guessed it…information. Read every piece of information that comes in front of you and watch your personal knowledge expand and your conversational skills increase.
5. Focus on your strengths in the coming year and NOT on your weaknesses. Take a personality or behavior based assessment and see where your true strengths lie.
6. Find an old fashioned pen pal. Find two people that you can exchange one hand written note or letter with each month. Someone who lives far away, or even internationally will make this even more fun and interesting.
7. Want a friend…be a friend. Friendly people always have friends. Step out of your comfort zone and invest yourself in other people’s lives and allow them to invest into yours.
8. Write down five habits or disciplines you wish to carry over from 2016 to 2017.
9. Ask those around you both personally and professionally for tips from their successes.
10. Above all. In 2017, be you. Be the you you can be, not the you someone else wants you to be.
Happy New Year!